Wednesday, January 20, 2010

morning routine

morning comes and you're not yet awake
little birds chirp and laugh on a branch;
must get up to stop their chatter
what if it is about you, their laughter?
I can see sleepy eyes, cheeks and nose
your blanket hides them but I think
you are sleepy to your toes.
let me wake you with a tickle, as I sing;
for you to wake up and bring
joy to my day today and everyday!

but who's this jumping up from under covers
like a spring? who's this voice
telling dreams and jokes and stories,
when have you picked your clothes and put them on?
now eat your breakfast, brush your teeth,
hug the dog who licked your cheek;
let's get out the door it's late
grab your boots if they're not on
the teacher's waiting
and you have to do some learning-playing.

1 comment:

Maria Verivaki said...

morning routine is still a sweet experience with your children
i wonder what happens as they become teenagers...