Monday, January 21, 2019

the incredible

-after Marin Sorescu


I have touched the incredible
Then I moved in with him
And I  am barely comfortable 
With the thought
Because I have only
Gotten to know him at the surface 
And the surface is a thin
Thin layer of ice 
On which I am skating

But the incredible
Is also beautiful 
Like an exquisite bulb 
Made from oh so many 
thin layers
And I am reaching out
Trying to touch
It’s fiery core
Knowing that 
This too would be just
The beginning 
Of many more 
Incredible layers

--and a more faithful translation from Catalin Florea

The Incredible

I have touched the incredible
And I moved into it,
Somewhat.

But this is only the surface.
The pellicle.

There are many levels 
Of incredible.
(That's why you cannot believe it)
Like the many layers
That make a bulb.

And the fiery center of the incredible
The core, the pith
The unbelievable of the unbelievable
It is also just a beginning.
The surface layer,
The pellicle...

And so on.

No comments: