Wednesday, January 28, 2009

needs/wants/dreams

what do we need today?
perhaps to forget about greed
and to remember the joys of simple lives;
perhaps we need to remember the times
of our grand fathers, when time used to run slower,
kids had fewer toys but more time with their mothers.
we still need to work on solving our conflicts
and learning to love our neighbors
even if they are different.
we still need hope and faith
and to search for a good direction of thoughts
and a coffee table or two at the edge of the street
 to allow for public debates.

do I really need perfect fruits even if they poison the kids?
do I really need fast growing chicks, cows or pigs;
are they not allowed to grow at their own pace any more
because of our greed?
do I really need 10 pairs of pants, and a shiny new car?
perhaps, but give me a friend to talk and think with 
in my free time I spend  around of the coffee tables
that line our street. 


give me time so I can take a trip 
and see other people 
and feel their needs
my boat needs to go 
my brain wants to see
my heart needs to dream
of people, places and rules
that allow for healthy simplicity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fewer toys. Amen to that. (For kids and adults.)

Maria Verivaki said...

most people want to buy more time to play with thier new found toys instead of relaxing away from them

Maria Verivaki said...

thanks for your good wishes alexandra