Thursday, October 09, 2008

ascent

(this one to CTB and AAI)

this mountain I climbed
with no horizon in sight
under a ceiling of clouds
just because you held my hand

one step after another
on a path none that I know
ever tried - being afraid it was
to steep to enjoy - so why bother

little leaps we took
on white rocks
humid with sweat
while we were burning with thirst

I was getting ready
to complain about the pain
building in my body
as it was growing stronger

when we started to see flowers
confronting the wind
with a giggle; tiny shrubs
creeping close and stable to the ground

little creatures we did see
living their live joyfully
under a sky with brave vultures
waiting for pray

if this is the way they live;
we might as well
allow ourselves all the elation
brought by thin air

once we get above the clouds
we'll calmly breath and take in
the view of the sky, and the valley,
and wondrous things the trip has taught us

No comments: